The MOD Medals and Records Offices, part of DBS, are to attend the following family history shows during 2020The Family History Show South West, UWE Bristol, 8 FebFamily Tree Live, Alexandra Palace, London, 17-18 AprThe Family History Show York, York Racecourse, 20 JunThe Genealogy Show, NEC Birmingham, 26 – 27 JunThe Family History Show London, Kempton Park, 26 SeptThe show will be attended by family historians, societies and genealogical organisations. The MOD stand, will be staffed by a DBS team, with colleagues from the Air Historical Branch and Restore plc.They will offer:Live post 1921 service record search facilityThe MOD continues to hold all service records where the individual had a discharge date of post 1921, these total around 10 million records, with about 500,000 having seen service in World War 1. An assisted search facility will be offered that will in many cases enable confirmation of whether the MOD holds a record for an individual. This information can then be used to apply for the record at the event, or by using the forms on Gov.uk. To assist the search, some or all the following information is required: surname, initials, date of birth and service number.Requesting a Service RecordThe MOD are planning to offer an online service where requests for the military service record of deceased service personnel can be placed. An online payment of £30 will be taken when the order is placed. The MOD will need sight of the individual’s death certificate if the date of birth is not over 116 years ago ie 1904 or before. For those killed in action, reference to the CWGC database will be accepted as proof of death. So remember to bring your relatives name, date of birth and death certificate! Records will be posted to the requester after the event.World War 2 RAF casualty packs search facilityRAF casualty packs from World War 2 are being transferred from the MOD to The National Archives. Using the MOD’s archive and cataloguing database, an assisted search facility will enable identification of the pack that may relate to an individual. This information can then be used to either access the pack at The National Archives, or, for those yet to be transferred, apply for details from the pack using the forms on Gov.uk. To assist the search, the following information is required: the name of the individual(s), date of incident and type of aircraft.Interpretation of service recordsIf you already have a service record but are unsure what it says or how to interpret it, then DBS experts will be on hand to assist you.Veterans BadgeIf you have previously served in the armed forces and don’t yet have a veterans badge, then you can apply for and, after the required validation has been carried out, be issued with a veterans badge.The DBS team look forward to seeing you.
Load remaining images Shakey Graves rolled into Norfolk, VA’s The NorVa last Wednesday, July 27th, ahead of their performance this weekend at FloydFest in the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains. Dedicated fans poured into The NorVa to groove along to the songwriting of the Austin, Texas performer. Mixing blues, rock, funk, and more, Graves commands an audience at every turn, and puts on one great show!Photographer Sam Shinault was there to capture some great images from the show; check out the full gallery below!
Thursday saw the third day of nationwide protests against the controversial Job Creation Law, which was passed on Monday amid mounting opposition from activists who claim that it threatens workers’ rights and the environment.Thousands of workers and university students staged rallies near the State Palace in Central Jakarta and urged President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo to issue a regulation in lieu of law (Perppu) to annul the contentious law.The escalating tensions have led to restrictions on transportation services in Jakarta.PT Transjakarta spokesperson Nadia Diposanjoyo said the city-owned bus service had stopped all operations at 4:30 p.m. to ensure the safety of its passengers and employees, as well as to protect its vehicle fleet.“To anticipate any trouble, Transjakarta is stopping its services on all corridors, non-corridor services, health worker services, social assistance services and micro trans at 4:30 p.m.,” Nadia said in a written statement.MRT operator PT MRT Jakarta also stopped its services to Bundaran HI MRT Station and Dukuh Atas Station, with the service only operating from Lebak Bulus Station in South Jakarta to Setiabudi Astra Station in Central Jakarta.Kamaluddin also reported that two mini excavators for the MRT construction project were torched and a project fence was pulled down during the riots.“The fires have been put out by the Jakarta Fire Department. We are waiting to remove the debris,” he said. (aly)Topics : It is not yet clear who set the facilities on fire.As of 7 p.m., the police were still making attempts to disperse the mobs by firing tear gas around the Bundaran HI traffic circle.Clashes between police personnel and protesters reportedly erupted again at the Harmoni intersection and the conditions remained tense as of 7 p.m. There had been trouble previously in the afternoon, with protesters hurling stones at police officers and the police firing rubber bullets, tear gas and water cannon to disperse the crowds. Protests against the controversial Job Creation Law descended into riots in some parts of the capital city on Thursday, as a number of facilities were set ablaze by unidentified mobs and clashes between the police and protesters continued.According to media reports, at least two Transjakarta bus shelters in Central Jakarta, at the Bundaran HI and Tosari stops — located near the location of rallies at the Arjuna Wijaya monument, also known as the Horse Statue — were damaged and burned on Thursday afternoon.The building of the Energy and Mineral Resources Ministry on Jl. MH Thamrin was also damaged by stone throwers. At least two police posts, one located near the Horse Statue and another one at the Harmoni intersection near the State Palace, were also set ablaze, kompas.com reported.
Jaipur: The Indian Premier League franchise Mumbai Indians (MI) on Tuesday inducted former left-arm pacer Zaheer Khan as Director of Cricket Operations. The experienced Zaheer will be part of the Mumbai Indians think-tank.One of the pioneers of the knuckle-ball and known for outsmarting batsmen, Zaheer will bring close to two decades of his cricketing experience to his new managerial role for Mumbai Indians.Zaheer was part of the Mumbai Indians in IPL seasons 2009, 2010 and 2014. He has 29 wickets to his name from 30 outings for the men in blue and gold.Ahead of the IPL auction, Mumbai Indians have retained 18 players, continuing with its philosophy of identifying and nurturing young talents.While the likes of all rounder Hardik Pandya, Krunal Pandya and Jasprit Bumrah form the core of Mumbai Indians, the three-time champions outfit have also continued with Mayank Markande, Rahul Chahar, Anukul Roy, Ishan Kishan, Aditya Tare and Suryakumar Yadav.From the experienced contingent, Mumbai Indians have Kieron Pollard, Ben Cutting, Evin Lewis, Jason Behrendorff and the Kiwi pair of Mitchell McClenaghan and Adam Milne.Rohit Sharma will continue to lead Mumbai Indians. IANS Also Read: Sports News