Concerned about spreading COVID-19 from the capital to villages across the country, the Transportation Ministry will not provide any travel assistance this year for people seeking to visit their hometowns for Idul Fitri.Every year, millions of Indonesians from big cities make the annual trip known as mudik (exodus) to get together with their extended families and friends across the country to celebrate the holidays. This year, Idul Fitri is expected to fall on May 24 and 25.The ministry’s Land Transportation Director General Budi Setyadi said free mudik travel offered either by government institutions or the private sector would not be allowed this year. “Considering the current situation of the massive spread of COVID-19, I think this is the right decision, although it is hard. Thus, I hope people understand and obey what the government has decided,” said Budi Setyadi.Budi has also called on people not to travel home for Idul Fitri this year to minimize the spread of COVID-19 across the country.“I urge all people not to return to their hometowns until conditions [improve]. Mudik involves massive mobility and gives the virus a chance to spread even more widely. People traveling to their hometown will potentially expand the contagion area,” said Budi.“We will push this campaign intensively,” he said. Topics : Read also: Jakarta declares emergency, doubts persist over distancing ruleBefore the free transport program was canceled, the Transportation Ministry alone had planned to provide 1,317 buses to carry 59,265 passengers from Greater Jakarta to 37 destinations across Indonesia in the free mudik program.The ministry had also planned to prepare 111 trucks to transport 4,995 motorcycles for free in a bid to reduce the risk of people making long journeys on motorcycles.“Now, we will shift our focus to working hand-in-hand between with regional governments to contain COVID-19,” he said.Previously, the ministry’s expert staffer Adita Irawaty said the Transportation Ministry was considering limiting or even banning mudik travel this year.“We are avoiding mass public gatherings. Unfortunately, the mudik tradition will cause such gatherings to happen in several places across the country, so we are now reviewing whether the mudik will be conducted as usual or not, we may even ban or limit it,” said Adita during a video conference with journalists on Friday. (evi)
“I wouldn’t say I recovered happiness… because I’m happy regardless of tennis,” Djokovic told a news conference.”I was actually looking forward to an official match as soon as possible after what happened in New York as I feel the sentiment on court needs to be positive.”Djokovic’s frustration boiled over after dropping his serve against Pablo Carreno Busta in the opening set at Flushing Meadows but 10 days on in Rome he did not face a single break point in an imperious display against the unseeded Caruso.”I didn’t feel any emotional or mental blockages or any drama playing a match today. I felt very comfortable,” Djokovic said. “Caruso was a very good test for me. I was very pleased how I handled myself in important moments of the match.”On arrival in Rome, an apologetic Djokovic vowed to be “the best version” of himself on and off the court and he kept his emotions in check against local hope Caruso.Four-times Rome champion Djokovic, who received an opening-round bye, broke Caruso’s serve in the eighth game before serving out the opening set.Caruso, who battled past American Tennys Sandgren in the opening round for his first ATP Masters 1000 match win, dropped his serve in a see-saw third game of the second set which lasted nearly 12 minutes.With momentum firmly on his side, top seed Djokovic broke his opponent for a third time in the match before celebrating victory by blowing kisses into the empty stands at the Foro Italico.Having recorded 51 victories in 60 matches, Djokovic is the second most successful player in the tournament’s history – just behind nine-time champion Rafael Nadal.Djokovic has won 27 of his 28 matches this year and will resume his hunt for an 18th Grand Slam title at the French Open, which begins on Sept. 27.”Regardless the change of surface I feel confident about the game,” he said. “Hopefully I can build that stride more and more as I move deeper in the tournament and prior to Roland Garros obviously.”Djokovic will face either fellow Serb Filip Krajinovic or Italian Marco Cecchinato for a place in the last-16.Topics : Novak Djokovic said he was relieved to turn the page on his contentious U.S. Open exit as he began his claycourt season with a solid victory in his first match at the Italian Open on Wednesday.The world number one, who was disqualified in New York after accidentally hitting a line judge with a ball during his fourth round match, defeated Italian wildcard Salvatore Caruso 6-3 6-2 to move into the third round in Rome.Djokovic’s default in New York was met with heavy criticism by former players and fans on social media but the Serb said he was able to disconnect himself from the outside noise.
Published on December 2, 2010 at 12:00 pm Comments Facebook Twitter Google+ Beat writers Brett LoGiurato and Andrew John analyze Syracuse’s chances against the ACC’s N.C. State on Dec. 4.
“Nicholas is one of the best boxers in the world, and if he applies himself the right way, he can be back to the top in less than a year,” he stated. “I can get him back there, if he is willing to listen to me,” he ended. The Gleaner then spoke with Walters, and he conceded that he had not prepared properly for the fight. A lot of time, he stated, was spent making sure that his weight was right. In hindsight, he said, there were a lot of things that he would have done differently. Asked directly if he would renew his partnership with Deschamps, Walters said that it is something to which he would give very serious consideration. “Mr Deschamps has been very good to me and I owe him a lot. I really do not have any problem with him. We have some differences but we can talk.” He added that he is taking some downtime, during which he would make an assessment of his situation. “Next year is an important one, and I want to have at least three fights. I have a lot of important decisions to make and I will make them early in the new year,” he ended. “Nicholas was not prepared for his fight against Lomachenko, physically, mentally or technically” was the view of his estranged manager, Jacques Deschamps, when The Gleaner asked him yesterday, why Jamaica’s Nicholas “The Axeman” Walters, had given such a poor performance last Saturday, November 26, in his World Boxing Organisation (WBO) Super featherweight title fight against Ukranian, Vasyl Lomachenko, at the Hotel Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas. After being completely outclassed by Lomachenko for seven rounds, Walters did not come out for the eighth round, thereby suffering his first defeat in 28 fights, His record is now 26-1-1, while Lomachenko’s is 7-1, and he is a title holder. Deschamps is the man who took Walters under his wings in 2008 as an amateur, and relocated him at his expense from Jamaica to Panama, to be guided by ace trainer of champions, Celso Chavez. Walters turned professional on August 2, 2008, became the World Boxing Association (WBA) Fedelatin featherweight champion on December 18, 2009 and WBA featherweight champion on December 8, 2012, a phenomenal achievement. After three spectacular title defences, with victories against Alberto Gaza, Vic Darchinyan and Nonito Donaire, he was declared to be a Super champion by the World Boxing Association. The champion’s problems with Deschamps started with his fight against Donaire. Deschamps wanted to make that match, because of the aura surrounding Donaire, a former champion, who was highly regarded at the time, and was being highly sought after. Deschamps calculated that a victory by Walters over Donaire would boost his bargaining power and he agreed to the fight at a purse that was then below market. Walters was unhappy with this, however. Deschamps’ calculation proved to be correct, because Walters defeated Donaire by technical knockout (TKO) in round six, and the WBA were so impressed, that they named him a Super champion after that victory. A rift had developed, however, between Walters and Deschamps. The next opponent for Walters was Miguel Marriaga and negotiations were started by Deschamps. At a very critical point in these negotiations, Walters decided that he wanted to do them himself, and told the Bob Arum/Top Rank team that they should now talk to him and not Deschamps. At the end of those negotiations, Walters is said to have eventually settled for less than Deschamps had already negotiated. ONE OF THE BEST MILLION DOLLAR PAYDAY The biggest blow came at the weigh-in, however, when Walters was overweight, and lost his title on the scales. He went on to win the fight, but he had already lost his title, and with it any bargaining power that he had. It has been all down hill since then. Arum offered Walters the opportunity to fight Lomachenko and a US$550,000 purse, but Walters demanded a million dollar payday instead. That demand was rejected and Lomachenko went on to fight for the WBO Super Featherweight title on June 11 this year, and knocked out the champion Roman Fernandez in five rounds. He was now “King of the Hill”, with two titles. He eventually elected to keep the Super featherweight title, since he could only keep one. Walters was again given the opportunity to fight Lomachenko for his new title, but for less money, and not having fought for a long time, Walters accepted. The rest is history, and the question now is where does he go from here. Deschamps told The Gleaner that everything went wrong for Walters in the fight. “For a fighter like Lomachenko,” he said, “you have to be well prepared.” Walters he stated, should have had at least a two-month training camp, at which attention should have been paid to “conditioning, technical ability and mental toughness.” “Apart from the physical aspects, Lomachenko’s style had to be taken into consideration and sparring partners should have been engaged to do what he was likely to do on fight night. I am sure that this was not done.” He conceded that the lay-off of nearly one year, was bad for Walters, but was of the opinion that things could have been done to lessen the impact. He feels, however, that with just one loss in a stellar career, Walters can bounce back, and said that he is willing to help him to get back to the top.
Ten witnesses are slated to testify in the trial related to the December 26, 2014 murder of 39-year-old miner Sunil Ramsundar, which is set to commence at the Demerara High Court. A 12-member jury was on Tuesday empanelled before Justice Sandhill Kissoon at the opening of the June Criminal Assizes in Demerara.Nyron ThakurdyalVishawantie RagnauthThe accused, Vishawantie Ragnauth and Nyron Thakurdyal both denied the murder indictment presented by State Prosecutors Lisa Cave and Orinthia Schmidt. On that fateful Boxing Night, at Patentia, West Bank Demerara, Ramsundar was killed after he allegedly attempted to settle a dispute between his sister, niece and his niece’s reputed husband.According to Police reports in 2014, the incident occurred at about 22:00h where it was alleged that Sunil Ramsundar’s sister was reportedly being assaulted by her daughter Vishawantie and Vishawantie’s reputed husband Thakurdyal.At that time, reports stated that the now deceased man enquired from his sister why she was crying, and upon learning that the couple had physically assaulted her, the man approached his niece for an explanation. However, this reportedly turned into a heated argument, during which Ramsundar was stabbed about his body. He collapsed on the spot and was pronounced dead on arrival to the West Demerara Regional Hospital.The duo is being represented by Attorney Nigel Hughes.