A new park in Bridgewater is one of nine recreation projects in the South Shore region receiving grants to support fun and physical activity for Nova Scotians. The region’s grants totalling $207,180 were announced today, June 29, through the Recreation Facility Development Program. “Outdoor spaces like parks, trails and playgrounds are among the many recreation facilities we’re supporting to help Nova Scotians live healthy lifestyles,” said Municipal Affairs Minister Mark Furey, on behalf of Health and Wellness Minister Leo Glavine. “We’re investing nearly $1.7 million for 65 new and upgraded facilities around the province so that Nova Scotians have a variety of opportunities to be active every day.” The Town of Bridgewater will use $18,000 to start developing Generation Active Park which will include walking trails where dogs and their owners can enjoy being active outdoors. “Funding for the first phase of this project allows for site drainage and other work to start developing amenities such as the leash-free dog park, trails and other components of the park,” said Bridgewater Mayor David Walker. “With these features, Generations Active Park will become a centerpiece for recreation for residents and visitors to our community.” The grants help community groups, municipalities and other not-for-profit organizations develop facilities to increase public participation in sport and physical recreation. Examples include renovations to buildings, developing and maintaining walking trails, and building and upgrading fields for sport and recreation. The grants support Thrive!, government’s plan for a healthier Nova Scotia. The plan aims to create supportive environments for healthy eating and physical activity. Learn more at http://thrive.novascotia.ca .
Tents had been set up in the park for people to queue overnight for tickets to watch Andy Murray beat Novak Djokovic in the men’s final.A Scotland Yard spokesman said at the time: ”Police are investigating an allegation of serious sexual assault in Wimbledon Park, off Church Road, in the early hours of Sunday July 7.”A 30-year-old man has been arrested in connection with the incident and has been taken into custody at a south London police station.”It is not known if charges were ever brought against the man. The Telegraph contacted both Scotland Yard and Wimbledon, but both refused to confirm whether the man arrested was a member of staff at SW19 or a spectator. Both also refused to discuss where within the vast grounds of the world’s premier tennis tournament the alleged attack happened. It is not the first allegation of sexual attacks linked to the All England Lawn Tennis Club. In 2013, a 30-year-old man was arrested and bailed over the alleged rape of a 34-year-old woman in Wimbledon Park. A 72-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of sexually assaulting a woman at Wimbledon.The pensioner was detained by security staff at the championships before being arrested by police who described the alleged victim as a woman in her 20s. The incident took place at 6pm on Wednesday within the grounds of the club, but not courtside, the Metropolitan Police said.A spokesman for the Metropolitan Police said: “On Wednesday July 4 at around 6pm a 72-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of sexual assault following an incident at the All England Lawn Tennis Club, SW19.”The incident happened within the grounds but not courtside. Security staff within the ground detained the man and he was arrested by police.”He was taken into custody at a south London police station where he remains in custody.” Want the best of The Telegraph direct to your email and WhatsApp? Sign up to our free twice-daily Front Page newsletter and new audio briefings.