SavarMembers of Rapid Action Battalion (RAB) on Thursday recovered three pieces bones of a missing trader from a guest house in Uttar Boalia area of Ashulia, on the outskirts of Dhaka.RAB-8 company commander major Abdul Hakim said brick trader Billal Hossain, 50, son of late Gaher Ali of Singair upazila in Manikganj, went missing from Bathuni in Dhamrai upazila on 13 April 13.His wife Rokeya Begum filed a general diary with Dhamrai police station, reports UNB.Later, RAB members arrested prime accused Nasir Uddin Dipu and Murshida Akhter, caretakers of the guest house from Laltek area of Savar.Following their information, the elite force recovered the bones of Billal who was sliced into three pieces after murder and buried in the guest house.
Independent candidate for Tangail-4 constituency Abdul Latif Siddique. Prothom Alo File PhotoIndependent candidate for Tangail-4 constituency Abdul Latif Siddique, who fell sick while continuing indefinite hunger strike protesting at an attack on his motorcade during electioneering, was sent to Dhaka for treatment Wednesday afternoon.Earlier in the morning, he was admitted to Tangail General Hospital as he fell sick, reports UNB.Tangail General Hospital supervisor Narayan Chandra Shah said they suggested taking him to a Dhaka hospital for better treatment as his condition deteriorated.Latif Siddique was sent to Dhaka with police protection, said Sayedur Rahman, officer-in-charge of Tangail Model police station.Demanding the withdrawal of Kalihati police station officer-in-charge and immediate arrest of those attacked his motorcade, former Awami League minister, who is contesting the upcoming election from Tangail-4 (Kalihati) constituency, began hunger strike on 16 December.He fell sick on Tuesday night while continuing his demonstration in front of the office of the returning officer and deputy commissioner of Tangail Shahidul Islam for the second consecutive day, braving cold and rain.Latif Siddique came under attack allegedly by the supporters of a local MP-backed union parishad chairman in Soratail of Kalihati upazila that left 20 people injured.
RYAN POPPEAbbott Campaign Mail-in Ballot ApplicationGov. Greg Abbott’s campaign to register mail-in ballot applications for seniors ahead of the deadline is creating costly headaches for many county election officials. During a primary election season, campaigns will try to help senior citizens register for mail-in ballots. But Texas election officials, including Bexar County’s election administrator Jacquelyn Callanen, are mailing back hundreds of applications, all of them linked to one campaign.“When we receive a primary election, we receive a number of mail-in ballot applications from a number of campaigns and we started to receive some last week that did not have a party check on them,” Callanen said.Those incomplete applications came from Abbott’s re-election campaign and were mailed not only to seniors that voted Republican in the last election but also to traditional Democrat and independent voters, according to the campaign.Campaign spokesman John Wittman said part of its effort is to attract voters who don’t traditionally vote in a Republican primary.“This mail-in ballot application drive is result of a test that Texans for Greg Abbott did in 2014. This election, we’ve expanded it 10-fold,” Wittman said.Glen Maxey, who heads up the Texas Democratic Party’s mail-in ballot campaign, was one of the first to notice problems with the Abbott application, which he said is decorated with the Abbott campaign logo and has very small printed instructions informing the voter they must indicate whether they need a Democrat or Republican mail-in ballot.“This application is about six-point type. A person of age — such as myself — I can’t read the application even with my glasses,” Maxey said.Callanen said it is costing individual counties hundreds of dollars to reject the incomplete applications, and the extra effort of sending out all the rejection letters is slowing down her office’s productivity.The deadline to submit an application for a mail-in ballot is Feb. 23. Share
Share Listen 00:00 /00:44 NASARunoff from Hurricane Harvey as seen by satellite imaging.After studying how Harvey’s floodwaters moved through Houston toward the Gulf of Mexico, scientists are learning more about how the flooding behaved.The findings were discussed an annual meeting of ocean scientists in Portland, Oregon on Tuesday. A study from the University of Florida found that Houston’s bayous and rivers were so overwhelmed by rain that key draining points became clogged. The study’s author, Arnoldo Valle-Levinson, explained that as Buffalo Bayou was trying to empty floodwaters into Galveston Bay, flows from the San Jacinto River at times caused the flooding to push back up into the Houston area, which helped keep water levels high for days.Valle-Levinson said sea level rise made the bottleneck worse.“The ocean was preconditioning the flooding in Houston and in Galveston Bay,” he said.Another study from Texas A&M did find some good news: the storm’s contaminated floodwaters didn’t flow far enough into the Gulf of Mexico to reach the protected Flower Garden Banks National Marine Sanctuary. To embed this piece of audio in your site, please use this code: X