Tag: 重庆艾薇儿

Ducks topple Avalanche, add to lead

first_imgThe Pacific Division-leading Ducks ended their three-game losing streak and extended their lead over the second-place San Jose Sharks to five points. The Ducks (36-17-10) and Sharks (38-23-1) play tonight in San Jose and again Friday in Anaheim. ANAHEIM – Swapping inertia for momentum, the Ducks earned a bounce-back victory Sunday night over the Colorado Avalanche as general manager Brian Burke worked the phones in search of a rent-a-veteran before Tuesday’s trade deadline. Andy McDonald scored two goals and added an assist and Scott Niedermayer had a goal and two assists to lead the Ducks to a 5-3 victory over the Avalanche in front of a sellout crowd of 17,174 at the Honda Center. “What we need to do is just keep going no matter what.” Niedermayer was one of several veteran players who met with coach Randy Carlyle on Saturday, the day after a dispiriting 4-1 loss to the third-place Dallas Stars. Carlyle asked for bigger contributions from the veterans. They certainly responded Sunday, led by Niedermayer. In addition to scoring the go-ahead goal, Niedermayer assisted on goals by Pronger and Teemu Selanne. Pronger and Selanne also had strong games, with a goal and an assist each. “The response from our veteran group was probably the key,” Carlyle said. Meanwhile, Burke kept his cell phone handy during the game. He said he is determined to stay involved in any and all negotiations. It’s believed he is in pursuit of a veteran forward who can bolster the Ducks’ scoring depth. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!center_img “You’ll hear a lot of GMs say after the deadline has passed that `I still believe in this group.’ I’ve been saying that for three weeks,” Burke said. “I think we’re in the doldrums a little bit right now, but I still believe in this group and what they can do.” In the end, the Ducks rewarded Burke’s faith in them, but not before squandering leads of 2-0 and 3-2 and taking three minor penalties in the game’s final 11 minutes. Niedermayer’s goal gave the Ducks a 4-3 lead at 16:37 of the final period, less than two minutes after Colorado’s Milan Hejduk tied it while the Ducks’ team captain was seated in the penalty box. Chris Pronger added a power-play goal at 17:25 for a 5-3 lead. “You never want to take three penalties like that,” Niedermayer said. “It’s obviously unacceptable no matter what you thought of the calls. We needed this game because the standings are getting pretty tight. last_img
Read More

Storage of radioactive waste blocked

first_img AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORE11 theater productions to see in Southern California this week, Dec. 27-Jan. 2The decision comes as the Bush administration and Congress are renewing their interest in nuclear power as one avenue to avoid reliance on oil from the Middle East. A broad energy bill Bush signed last summer provides incentives for building nuclear reactors, and last week the president declared the nuclear power industry an overregulated business that needs a jump-start from Washington. California Attorney General Bill Lockyer said the decision was a victory for California and residents in the shadow of the twin-reactor facility along the Pacific in San Luis Obispo, home to 45,000 people about 200 miles north of Los Angeles. “President Bush and administration officials make constant public statements about the terrorist threat,” Lockyer said. “Yet the NRC in this case concluded the danger of a terrorist attack on a nuclear facility is so minimal that the environmental effects of an attack did not have to be considered.” The Mothers for Peace group’s attorney, Diane Curran, said the lawsuit was not intended as a tactic to shutter the facility. SAN FRANCISCO – A federal appeals court blocked regulatory approval to store radioactive waste at a nuclear energy installation in Central California, ruling Friday that federal regulators must first consider the likelihood of a terrorist attack. The 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, in the first ruling of its kind, disagreed with the Nuclear Regulatory Commission’s 2003 finding that an attack was “remote and speculative” and therefore the possibility needn’t be seriously considered. The challenge to the NRC’s permit allowing the storage of more radioactive spent-fuel at the Diablo Canyon nuclear power plant in San Luis Obispo County was brought by the local group, San Luis Obispo Mothers For Peace. The plant is building new stainless steel and cement storage facilities because the current waste repository at the Pacific Gas & Electric Co. site is filling up. The court said the regulatory commission could not justify its so-called “top to bottom” security review of the nation’s nuclear installations, while it simultaneously declared that the risk of a terror attack cannot be quantified, Judge Sidney Thomas wrote for the three-judge panel. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more

Read More