Thursday saw the third day of nationwide protests against the controversial Job Creation Law, which was passed on Monday amid mounting opposition from activists who claim that it threatens workers’ rights and the environment.Thousands of workers and university students staged rallies near the State Palace in Central Jakarta and urged President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo to issue a regulation in lieu of law (Perppu) to annul the contentious law.The escalating tensions have led to restrictions on transportation services in Jakarta.PT Transjakarta spokesperson Nadia Diposanjoyo said the city-owned bus service had stopped all operations at 4:30 p.m. to ensure the safety of its passengers and employees, as well as to protect its vehicle fleet.“To anticipate any trouble, Transjakarta is stopping its services on all corridors, non-corridor services, health worker services, social assistance services and micro trans at 4:30 p.m.,” Nadia said in a written statement.MRT operator PT MRT Jakarta also stopped its services to Bundaran HI MRT Station and Dukuh Atas Station, with the service only operating from Lebak Bulus Station in South Jakarta to Setiabudi Astra Station in Central Jakarta.Kamaluddin also reported that two mini excavators for the MRT construction project were torched and a project fence was pulled down during the riots.“The fires have been put out by the Jakarta Fire Department. We are waiting to remove the debris,” he said. (aly)Topics : It is not yet clear who set the facilities on fire.As of 7 p.m., the police were still making attempts to disperse the mobs by firing tear gas around the Bundaran HI traffic circle.Clashes between police personnel and protesters reportedly erupted again at the Harmoni intersection and the conditions remained tense as of 7 p.m. There had been trouble previously in the afternoon, with protesters hurling stones at police officers and the police firing rubber bullets, tear gas and water cannon to disperse the crowds. Protests against the controversial Job Creation Law descended into riots in some parts of the capital city on Thursday, as a number of facilities were set ablaze by unidentified mobs and clashes between the police and protesters continued.According to media reports, at least two Transjakarta bus shelters in Central Jakarta, at the Bundaran HI and Tosari stops — located near the location of rallies at the Arjuna Wijaya monument, also known as the Horse Statue — were damaged and burned on Thursday afternoon.The building of the Energy and Mineral Resources Ministry on Jl. MH Thamrin was also damaged by stone throwers. At least two police posts, one located near the Horse Statue and another one at the Harmoni intersection near the State Palace, were also set ablaze, kompas.com reported.
Ozil claims he would have accepted an even bigger pay cut than 12.5% (Picture: Getty)‘People who know me know exactly how generous I am and, as far as I’m aware, I was not the only player who rejected the cut in the end, but only my name came out.‘I guess that’s because it is me and people have been trying for two years to destroy me, to make me unhappy, to push an agenda they hope will turn the supporters against me and paint a picture that is not true.‘Possibly the decision affected my chances on the pitch, I don’t know. But I’m not afraid to stand up for what I feel is right — and when you see what has happened now with the jobs, maybe I was.’MORE: Arsenal bosses to offer Mesut Ozil massive pay-off to leave the clubMORE: Arsenal outcast Mesut Ozil sends message to team-mates after FA Cup final winFollow Metro Sport across our social channels, on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.For more stories like this, check our sport page. View 4 comments Mesut Ozil finally explains why he refused pay cut and takes swipe at Arsenal board over redundancies The German has not played for Arsenal since he refused a pay cut (Picture: Getty)Ozil was notably the only player who was publicly outed as having refused to take a pay cut, though he insists it was not a lack of compassion or generosity on his part but a lack of information and detail from Arsenal’s board.AdvertisementAdvertisementADVERTISEMENTHe told The Athletic: ‘As players, we all wanted to contribute. But we needed more information and many questions were unanswered.‘Everyone was fine with a deferral while there was so much uncertainty — I would have been OK to take a bigger share — and then a cut if required, once the football and financial outlook was clearer. But we were rushed into it without proper consultation.More: Arsenal FCArsenal flop Denis Suarez delivers verdict on Thomas Partey and Lucas Torreira movesThomas Partey debut? Ian Wright picks his Arsenal starting XI vs Manchester CityArsene Wenger explains why Mikel Arteta is ‘lucky’ to be managing Arsenal‘For anyone in this situation, you have a right to know everything, to understand why it is happening and where the money is going. But we didn’t get enough details, we just had to give a decision. It was far too quick for something so important and there was a lot of pressure.‘This was not fair, especially for the young guys, and I refused. I had a baby at home and have commitments to my family here, in Turkey and in Germany — to my charities, too, and also a new project we started to support people in London that was from the heart and not for publicity. Metro Sport ReporterThursday 13 Aug 2020 8:46 amShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link4.9kShares The German says his concerns were validated by the Gunners’ recent staff cuts (Picture: Getty)Mesut Ozil says Arsenal bosses ‘rushed’ the squad into taking a pay cut and feels his refusal was entirely justified after the club made 55 members of staff redundant.At the height of the coronavirus crisis, and with Arsenal’s finances severely hit, the north London club became the first team in the Premier League to agree to a squad wage cut of 12.5%.They did so under the impression they were keeping other staff members at the club in their jobs, but last week Arsenal announced a horde of redundancies that have disappointed many of the players. Advertisement Advertisement
Cleary will take on the role of Head Coach until the end of the 2020 NRL season.Cleary, 46, has coached 252 NRL games at the New Zealand Warriors and Penrith Panthers, plus was Head Coach of the 2015 Prime Minister’s XIII team and was named the 2014 Daly M Coach of the Year.Wests Tigers Chair Marina Go welcomed Cleary to the Club.”On behalf of the Wests Tigers Board I’d like to take this opportunity to welcome Ivan to Wests Tigers,” said Go. “We look forward to him building a strong relationship with our players and staff and working with them long into the future. “In appointing Ivan as Head Coach we as a Club have worked through a thorough process and are thrilled to be making this announcement today,” she said. “Throughout this process Ivan was incredibly impressive with his vision for this Club and where it can go both on and off the field.”Wests Tigers CEO Justin Pascoe said that he looked forward to working closely with Cleary over the coming seasons.”In all of my dealings with Ivan he’s shown himself to be an incredibly professional individual with a real passion for the game,” he said. “He brings to this Club a wealth of experience which we believe will be very beneficial for our playing group.”We have a group of players who are ready to take the next step in their playing careers and as a Club we’re confident that Ivan is the man to lead them,” he said.Cleary said he was looking forward to joining Wests Tigers.”This is a great opportunity to join a Club with a lot of potential,” said Cleary. “I look forward to getting to work with the playing group and coaching staff.”The Wests Tigers are a huge brand with a strong Membership base and a lot of supporters and I look forward to getting stuck in over the coming weeks,” he said. “Day one is today and from here we start working on improving, we’ll do a lot of exploring and analysis on how things work at Wests Tigers and how the people within the Club work. We need to decide as a group what we want to be and go about achieving this.”I can’t wait to get to work here,” he said. “It’s no secret that I’ve missed it, this is a fresh start for me and I’m committed to seeing this Club reach its potential and to be the success that I know it can be.”Pascoe thanked Interim Head Coach Andrew Webster for his efforts over the last two weeks.”I’d like to take this opportunity to thank Andrew Webster for the way that he carried himself over the last few weeks,” said Pascoe. “He did a terrific job during a difficult time, with the way that he conducted himself a true demonstration of his character.”This story and video first appeared on weststigers.com.au
Mumbai, Jun 1 (PTI) All the six nominations filed from Maharashtra for the Rajya Sabha elections were found valid during scrutiny today, a senior Vidhan Bhawan official said.The biennial elections for 57 seats in the Upper House from 15 states are due to be held on June 11. The last date for withdrawal is June 3.Prominent among the six candidates in the fray for as many vacancies in Rajya Sabha from Maharashtra are Union Power Minister Piyush Goyal and senior Congress leader and former Finance Minister P Chidambaram.Both Goyal and Chidambaram are set to be elected to Rajya Sabha as the deadline for filing nominations ended yesterday.Other nominees include former Union minister Praful Patel (NCP), Vinay Sahasrabuddhe and Vikas Mahatme (BJP) and Sanjay Raut (Shiv Sena).According to the Vidhan Bhawan official, the formal announcement on their election will be made on June 3.Chidambaram had filed his nomination papers yesterday at the Vidhan Bhawan. He did not contest the 2014 Lok Sabha polls, while his son Karti had unsuccessfully fought from his native Sivaganga constituency in Tamil Nadu. PTI VT NSK KIS