Revision Military Ltd,Senator Patrick Leahy (D-Vt.) has announced a new US Army contract with Revision Eyewear, for work in Essex Junction, on a next-generation helmet that will be designed to apply the grim lessons of troop injuries in Iraq Afghanistan in improving head protection for US soldiers. The three-year contract is with the US Army’s Natick Labs Soldier Systems division and is worth $1,990,340. Leahy is a senior member of the Senate Appropriations Committee and of its Defense Subcommittee, which handles the Senate’s work in writing the annual defense budget bills. He has long supported Revision’s cutting-edge work on soldier protective systems such as protective eyewear. Leahy’s matchmaking efforts with Revision and Defense Department agencies, coupled with the funding he has secured through his work on the Appropriations Committee, have given the firm the chance to prove its technology, earn its reputation for quality and innovation and build strong links to potential customers. Leahy said, ‘As a Vermonter I’m so proud that Vermont firms are in the forefront of creating life-saving innovations like this. It is a credit to our state’s workforce and growing technology sector that firms like Revision are taking root here. This Army contract shows that Revision has the expertise and technology to design a next-generation helmet that will improve protection from Traumatic Brain Injury and blast wounds.’ ‘Senator Leahy continues to support Revision’s growth beyond ballistic eyewear and into head protection systems. He has shown a strong commitment to ensure that the newest soldier protection innovations are put into service to protect our troops as they encounter ever more sophisticated battlefield environments,’ said Jonathan Blanshay, CEO of Revision. Under the contracts, Revision will be responsible for developing a new design prototype for the U.S. military’s next-generation headgear system. The new helmet will integrate both ballistic impact protection and blast protection from rotational forces that are believed to contribute to the relatively high number of brain injuries suffered by soldiers returning from Iraq and Afghanistan. The helmet will have built-in communications systems, include enhanced chemical protection for the wearer, and will integrate a protection for the jaw and lower face.ESSEX JUNCTION, Vt. (FRIDAY, July 1) ‘
EIA: Renewables and Gas Continue to Overtake Coal FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPrint分享S&P Global Market Intelligence ($):Natural gas and renewables combined to fuel more than half of U.S. power generation in April. Coal’s share of generation, which saw declines in February and March, dipped to 24%.According to the U.S. Energy Information Administration’s latest “Electric Power Monthly” released June 25, utility-scale generation net of hydroelectric pumped storage increased 2.9% year over year in April to 302.6 million MWh.Over the same period, gas-fired generation climbed 16.0% to 100.0 million MWh, accounting for 33.0% of the net total. Meanwhile, coal-fired generation declined 9.9% versus the prior-year period to 73.5 million MWh, to account for 24.3% of the nation’s electricity.Renewable output climbed 0.5% year over year to 66.6 million MWh as growth among renewable resources was mixed.Year-to-date through April, utility-scale generation climbed 4.5% to 1.30 billion MWh, with coal supplying 27.2% of the nation’s power and natural gas at a 31.4% share. So far, renewable generation has supplied 19.5% of the nation’s power, compared with 19.8% a year earlier.Over the same period, coal-fired generation declined 4.9% year over year to 354.9 million MWh, while gas-fired generation climbed 16.0% to 409.8 million MWh. Meanwhile, renewable generation grew 2.9% to 254.2 million MWh.More ($): Natural gas, renewables combined for 55% of US power generation in April
Sign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York Suffolk County Treasurer Angie Carpenter, left, and County Comptroller Joseph Sawicki, right.Suffolk County lawmakers debated Tuesday a proposal to merge the county comptroller and treasurer’s offices in a plan the county executive said will eliminate seven jobs, saving more than $1 million annually.Treasurer Angie Carpenter told the legislature that the estimated savings are “bogus” and several lawmakers questioned the plan, prompting County Executive Steve Bellone to tweak the proposal before a public hearing scheduled for next month.“If all the same duties are there and the same work has to be done, how would that $1 million be saved?” Legis. Lynn Nowick (R-Smithtown) asked Carpenter.“It’s a fabrication,” Carpenter replied, calling the proposed merger “an injustice.” “If you eliminate those seven jobs, you can’t eliminate that work that’s being done.”Bellone announced last week his proposal to have voters decide in a November referendum whether to merge the treasurer’s office with that of Comptroller Joseph Sawicki. He estimated that the plan would save nearly $6 million over five years.But some lawmakers, including Presiding Officer William Lindsay (D-Holbrook), expressed concern Tuesday about the Bellone’s proposed appointment of an interim chief financial officer to head the merged office before a replacement could be elected in 2014.Vanessa Baird-Streeter, Bellone’s spokeswoman, said the proposal has since been tweaked to have Sawicki lead the proposed merged office before his term limit at the end of 2014.“If it is voted upon by the residents of Suffolk County to allow the merger of the two offices,” she said, “Sawicki…would hold two titles, comptroller and CFO.”Lindsay called a special legislative meeting July 22 to hold a public hearing on the resolution that, if passed, would allow a referendum for the voters to decide if there should be “a unified county department of financial management and audit.”The public hearing is required before the legislature votes on the resolution at its next meeting on July 30. Bellone is pushing for passage as quickly as possible to allow enough time for the resolution to appear on ballots in November.Newsday has reported that Suffolk County GOP leadership called plan by Bellone, a Democrat, “payback” for Carpenter running against the county executive in 2011. Both Carpenter and Sawicki are Republicans, but only Carpenter is running for re-election.Sawicki did not return a call for comment.
19 Views no discussions Tweet Share Sharing is caring! HealthLifestyle Surgeons carry out first synthetic windpipe transplant by: – July 7, 2011 By Michelle RobertsHealth reporter, BBC News, in StockholmThe replacement windpipe was grown in the labSurgeons in Sweden have carried out the world’s first synthetic organ transplant.Scientists in London created an artificial windpipe which was then coated in stem cells from the patient.Crucially, the technique does not need a donor, and there is no risk of the organ being rejected. The surgeons stress a windpipe can also be made within days.The 36-year-old cancer patient is doing well a month after the operation.Professor Paolo Macchiarini from Spain led the pioneering surgery, which took place at the Karolinska University Hospital.In an interview with the BBC, he said he now hopes to use the technique to treat a nine-month-old child in Korea who was born with a malformed windpipe or trachea.Professor Macchiarini already has 10 other windpipe transplants under his belt – most notably the world’s first tissue-engineered tracheal transplant in 2008 on 30-year-old Spanish woman Claudia Costillo – but all required a donor.IndistinguishableThe key to the latest technique is modelling a structure or scaffold that is an exact replica of the patient’s own windpipe, removing the need for a donor organ.To do this he enlisted the help of UK experts were given 3D scans of the 36-year-old African patient, Andemariam Teklesenbet Beyene. The geology student currently lives in Iceland where he is studying for a PhD.Using these images, the scientists at University College London were able to craft a perfect copy of Mr Beyene’s trachea and two main bronchi out of glass.They then coated this was then flown to Sweden and soaked in a solution of stem cells taken from the patient’s bone marrow.After two days, the millions of holes in the porous windpipe had been seeded with the patient’ own tissue.Dr Alex Seifalian and his team used this fragile structure to create a replacement for the patient, whose own windpipe was ravaged by an inoperable tumour.Despite aggressive chemotherapy and radiotherapy, the cancer had grown to the size of a golf ball and was blocking his breathing. Without a transplant he would have died.During a 12-hour operation Professor Macchiarini removed all of the tumour and the diseased windpipe and replaced it with the tailor-made replica.The bone marrow cells and lining cells taken from his nose, which were also implanted during the operation, are able to divide and grow, turning the inert windpipe scaffold into an organ indistinguishable from a normal healthy one.And, importantly, Mr Beyene’s body will accept it as its own, meaning he will not need to take the strong anti-rejection drugs that other transplant patients have to.Professor Macchiarini said this was the real breakthrough.“Thanks to nanotechnology, this new branch of regenerative medicine, we are now able to produce a custom-made windpipe within two days or one week.“This is a synthetic windpipe. The beauty of this is you can have it immediately. There is no delay. This technique does not rely on a human donation.”He said many other organs could be repaired or replaced in the same way.A month on from his operation, Mr Beyene is still looking weak, but well.Sitting up in his hospital bed, he said: “I was very scared, very scared about the operation. But it was live or die.”He says he is looking forward to getting back to Iceland to finish his studies and then returning to his home in Eritrea where he will be reunited with his wife and young family, and meet his new three-month-old child.He says he is eternally grateful to the medical team that has saved his life. Share Share