U.S. Cuts 2016 Coal Production Outlook FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPrint分享Molly Christian for SNL:The U.S. government cut its coal production outlook for 2016 as the year began with the lowest monthly production total since July 1983.The U.S. Energy Information Administration estimates that domestic coal production totaled 59 million tons in January, a 7% decline versus the prior month. The government agency expects that U.S. coal production will total 834 million tons in 2016, a 2.2% decline versus the prior outlook and a 6.4% decline versus the prior-year total of 890 million tons. For 2017, the EIA expects that coal production will rise 0.9% to 841 million tons, a 0.3% decline versus the prior outlook.The government agency expects the Interior region to account for 20% of domestic production in 2016 and 2017, up from 13% of production a decade ago, as production declines at a slower rate than that of the Appalachian and Western regions.“This increase in share reflects the [Interior] region’s growing competitive advantages compared with other U.S. coal-producing regions, [including] higher heat content, closer proximity to major markets than Western region coal, and lower mining costs than Appalachia-produced coal,” the report said.Meanwhile, the EIA expects power-sector coal demand will remain flat as increased demand resulting from rising natural gas prices is offset by growing renewables penetration of the power market and coal plant retirements. The government agency projects that power-sector coal demand will slide 0.1% to 746 million tons in 2016, a 0.9% decline versus the prior outlook, before recovering 0.5% in 2017 to 750 million tons, up 0.9% versus the prior outlook.Full articlee ($): US government trims coal production outlook, projects demand to remain flat
UAE-based Lamprell has held a steel cutting ceremony to mark the start of construction of jacket foundations for the 950MW Moray East wind project offshore Scotland.GeoSea, part of DEME Offshore, the Engineering, Procurement, Construction and Installation (EPCI) contractor for the project’s 100 wind turbine foundations and three offshore substation foundations, contracted Lamprell to fabricate 45 wind turbine and three substation jacket foundations at the end of last year. Smulders is producing the remaining 55 turbine jackets.The 48 jacket foundations will be fabricated at Lamprell’s Hamriyah and Sharjah yards in the UAE.Lamprell expects that the USD 200 million Moray East project and walk-in work will be the main supporters of the company’s projected revenue range of USD 250-400 million for 2019.In a recent financial report, Lamprell said that ”lessons learned on the East Anglia One project in pricing against the in-depth understanding of the market and in managing project risk profile effectively have been embedded for work on the 950MW project.”Located 22 kilometers off the Scottish coast, Moray East will comprise 100 MHI Vestas 9.5MW turbines scheduled to be fully up and running in 2022.
LocalNews Health Minister defends decision to assign Chinese doctors to PMH by: – April 17, 2012 Sharing is caring! Share Share Tweet Share 28 Views 3 comments Hon. Julius Timothy.Minister with responsibility for health, Julius Timothy, has defended the government’s decision to assign four Chinese doctors to the country’s main hospital.Several citizens have raised concern regarding the Chinese doctor’s ability to properly communicate with Dominican patients and other staff members at the Princess Margaret Hospital with whom they will have to interact on a daily basis.The minister, who clarified that only one doctor has been approved and registered by the Medical Board, explained that the other three will be supervised by a specialist.He explained further that only one doctor was registered because the board was “satisfied” with the language communication and not because they were un-qualified as they “are all highly qualified for the job”.“The problem was in terms of communication whether they could communicate with patients in a way not to raise too much anxiety. As a result, the medical board registered one and we have three more doctors working with the hospital but they are not working alone. They are not registered by the medical board we’re treating them like interns so they’re working with the existing specialist to ensure that the proper service is given”.According to the minister, the Medical Board was “not satisfied” that the three doctor’s language competence was “adequate enough to deal with the patients so that they will deal with the patients but through a registered local doctor”.He said this arrangement has not posed “any difficulty at the moment, its well understood it’s a temporary period”.The doctors will be supervised and observed for “the next three months” until the Medical Board is “satisfied that their language competence is up to level,” after which they will be fully registered and able to work on their own”.Timothy said; the doctors have been on island “for a reasonable length of time” already and an additional three months should be adequate time for them to be able to speak English competently.He is confident “that based on what we have seen from them that they will be up to standards”.Dominica Vibes News