Junior forward Chimezie Metu squares up to a Cal State Fullerton defender in a game at the Galen Center. Photo by Katie Chin | Daily TrojanBoth senior guard Jordan McLaughlin and junior forward Chimezie Metu took spots on a list of the 50 top candidates for the 2018 John Wooden Award. The list, which was released on Tuesday, was based on a preseason poll of the national NCAA basketball experts who will vote on the award at the end of the season.McLaughlin has been a captain for the Trojans for three years, and he is expected to strongly lead the No. 10 ranked squad this season. He is currently ranked second on the program’s all-time assists list with 457 and is well on track to set the record this year. Last season, McLaughlin averaged 12.9 points, 3.6 rebounds and 5.5 assists. He ranks first in career assists and career steals, second in career points and third in career 3-pointers made among all players returning to the Pac-12 for this season.Metu is an equally vital player for the Trojans, starting all 36 games last season while averaging 14.8 points and 7.8 rebounds. He came alive in the final 13 games of the season, spiking to an average of 16.9 points and 8.2 rebounds and starring in the Trojans’ postseason run.The Wooden Award recognizes the top player in men’s college basketball every year. Last year’s recipient was Frank Mason III, an All-American guard for the Kansas Jayhawks who also picked up AP Player of the Year, the Naismith Award and the USA Today Player of the Year Award.Polling for this year’s award will continue throughout the season, and players not selected for the preseason list can still make their way into finalist contention. The organization will release a midseason list and late season list before releasing the top 15 players in the National Ballot during postseason play.
ATLANTA (AP) — Rayshard Brooks, who was fatally shot by a police officer, is to be remembered Tuesday at the church in Atlanta where the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. once preached.The private funeral at Ebenezer Baptist Church follows a public viewing held Monday. The Rev. Raphael Warnock, senior pastor at the church and a Democratic candidate for Senate, will deliver the eulogy.“Rayshard Brooks wasn’t just running from the police. He was running from a system that makes slaves out of people. A system that doesn’t give ordinary people who’ve made mistakes a second chance, a real shot at redemption,” Warnock plans to say, according to a short excerpt released Monday.Officer Garrett Rolfe fatally shot Brooks in the back after Brooks fired a Taser in his direction while running away after a struggle with officers outside a Wendy’s restaurant on June 12. Rolfe, 27, is white. Brooks, 27, was Black.King’s daughter, the Rev. Bernice King, also plans to deliver remarks at Brooks’ funeral, along with a friend of his and his mother-in-law, according to a draft program released by the church.“Ebenezer is a parish for all people, a sanctuary for those who suffer,” Warnock said in a statement when the funeral plans were first announced. “Rayshard was not a member of our church but he, and his loved ones, are a part of our family. We seek to embrace them, comfort them and walk beside them in the days ahead.”Actor and filmmaker Tyler Perry has offered financial help for the services, according to that statement.When officers responded to complaints of a car blocking the Wendy’s drive-thru lane, they found Brooks asleep in the car. Police body camera video then showed Brooks and officers having a calm and respectful conversation for more than 40 minutes.After conducting field sobriety tests, Rolfe told Brooks he’d had “too much to drink to be driving.” Brooks resisted being handcuffed, and he and the two officers wrestled on the ground. Brooks grabbed one of their Tasers and fired it in their direction as he ran away.An autopsy found he was shot twice in the back.Rolfe was fired and the other officer, 26-year-old Devin Brosnan, was placed on desk duty after the shooting. Police Chief Erika Shields stepped down less than 24 hours after Brooks died.Fulton County District Attorney Paul Howard announced 11 charges against Rolfe, including felony murder, and said the officer kicked Brooks as he lay dying. Brosnan, who the prosecutor said stood on Brooks’ shoulder as he struggled for his life, is charged with aggravated assault and violating his oath.Lawyers for both men said their clients’ actions were justified.Interim police Chief Rodney Bryant has said he was surprised Howard brought charges so quickly, before the Georgia Bureau of Investigation had finished looking into the shooting. The GBI said in a tweet after Howard announced the charges that the agency was not consulted on the charges.Both Rolfe and Brosnan turned themselves in Thursday. Brosnan was released on bond. Rolfe was being held without bond.
Share on: WhatsApp Arsenal open the season against Leicester todayFridayArsenal v Leicester (9.45 PM)London, United Kingdom | AFP | Fuelled by an historically lavish spending spree, the Premier League returns on Friday when Arsenal host Leicester in the opening game of the hotly-anticipated new season.Taking advantage of astronomical broadcast contracts and lucrative sponsorship deals, England’s superpowers have been splashing the cash at an unprecedented rate.Since the end of last season, transfer records have been shattered across the country as over one billion pounds has changed hands in a frenzy that could well set a new high for a single window.While some fear the spending is unsustainable and will put clubs’ long-term stability at risk, the 25th year of the Premier League era should deliver a title race more fiercely contested than ever.Desperate to dethrone champions Chelsea, club record fees have been paid by Manchester United, who splurged a British record £75 million for Everton striker Romelu Lukaku, Arsenal, who forked out £52 million on Lyon forward Alexandre Lacazette and Liverpool, who put down £37 million for Roma winger Mohamed Salah.Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola set the tone with a series of early deals that took his spending in this window to an eye-watering £218 million.Frustrated by City’s failings in his trophyless first season in England, Guardiola has overhauled his squad with defenders Kyle Walker, Benjamin Mendy and Danilo, plus goalkeeper Ederson and playmaker Bernardo Silva.Guardiola’s old rival Jose Mourinho hasn’t been shy about raiding the United coffers, with the Lukaku swoop headlining a £140 million spree that also brought Benfica defender Victor Lindelof and Chelsea midfielder Nemanja Matic to Old Trafford.Mourinho won the league in his second seasons at Porto, Real Madrid and Inter Milan, as well as in both of his stints at Chelsea, but he expects this season’s title race to be an almighty scrap.“Normally the second season should be better than the first, but again, this is modern football. The reality is totally different,” Mourinho said.“It’s getting much harder for everyone, so we don’t know.”The no limits spending of Chelsea’s title rivals prompted a tetchy response from Stamford Bridge, where boss Antonio Conte has been grumbling about his club’s failure to land Lukaku and several other targets.– No margin for error –Even so, Conte has done his best to get billionaire Blues owner Roman Abramovich to throw his financial muscle behind Chelsea’s title defence.A club record £58 million lured Real Madrid forward Alvaro Morata from the European champions, while Tiemoue Bakayoko and Antonio Rudiger also joined Chelsea, whose spending climbed over £130 million.Fans will get their first glimpse of how one of the contenders will fare when Arsenal, fresh from their Community Shield victory over Chelsea, face Leicester in the season opener at the Emirates Stadium.Arsene Wenger brokered a fragile truce with Arsenal’s dissenting fans by winning the FA Cup last season, but the Gunners boss has no margin for error after going 13 years without Premier League glory. Last season was by far the most difficult of Wenger’s 21-year reign, with Arsenal’s on-pitch travails exposing him to furious protests from angry fans.Having ended months of speculation by signing a new two-year contract, Wenger believes if his players put on a united front, the exasperated fans will fall into line behind them.“A lot of the trouble was created by my own situation. Maybe I made a mistake,” said Wenger, who will be without want-away Chile star Alexis Sanchez against Leicester due to injury.“Overall I believe that it’s down to us. The trend has always to come from the team.”The bulk of the opening weekend’s fixtures will be played on Saturday and Sunday, with Chelsea starting at home to Burnley.City travel to new-boys Brighton, back in the top tier after a 34-year absence, while United host West Ham.Liverpool, trying to fend off Barcelona’s interest in £100 million-rated forward Philippe Coutinho, are at Watford.Despite finishing second last season, Tottenham, who face promoted Newcastle on Sunday, have boldly abstained from the spending and are yet to make a single signing.The merits of that cautious approach should become clear throughout a fascinating season that serves as a referendum on the go for broke era.Fixtures (1400 GMT unless stated):FridayArsenal v Leicester (1845 GMT)SaturdayBrighton v Manchester City (1630 GMT), Chelsea v Burnley, Crystal Palace v Huddersfield, Everton v Stoke, Southampton v Swansea, Watford v Liverpool (1130 GMT), West Brom v BournemouthSundayManchester United v West Ham (1500 GMT), Newcastle v Tottenham (1230 GMT)
by Barry WilnerAssociated Press Writer CANTON, Ohio (AP)—Jerry Rice and Emmitt Smith can stop the chase now.Linked as the NFL’s leading receiver and rusher, two of the greatest players football has seen, entered the Hall of Fame Aug. 7. Both admitted their destinies are fulfilled.“This is finally it,” Rice said. “There are no more routes to run, no more touchdowns to score, no more records to set. That young boy from Mississippi has finally stopped running. Looking as fit as any current All-Pro, Rice admits he made one major mistake during that unparalleled career. “My single regret about my career is I never took the time to enjoy it,” he said. “I was always working.“I was afraid to fail. The fear of failure is the engine that has driven me my entire life. The reason they never caught me from behind is because I ran scared. People always are surprised how insecure I was. The doubts, the struggles, is who I am. I wonder if I would have been as successful without them.”Rice was successful from Day 1 in the NFL, rising from the obscurity of Mississippi Valley State to win three Super Bowls and change the game forever. He was humbled by the conclusion Saturday night.“I can honestly say this is the greatest team I have ever belonged to,” Rice said.Smith began choking up during a one-minute standing ovation as he stepped to the microphone as the final inductee. He immediately praised Walter Payton, the man he surpassed as rushing king, and recognized the two other Hall of Fame members of the Cowboys’ Triplets, Troy Aikman and Michael Irvin.And he broke down when saluting his former fullback, Daryl Johnston. “You took care of me as if you were taking care of your little brother,” Smith said through wet eyes.Smith rushed for 18,355 yards, with 164 touchdowns, 11 seasons with 1,000 or more yards on the ground, and 78 games with 100 yards rushing. Smith made the hall in his first year of eligibility and won three Super Bowls, taking MVP honors in the 1994 game.“When I go into the hall today, I am not going in alone,” Smith said. “I am carrying my grandfather, I’m carrying my father and I’m carrying my son along with me because I bear all their names. Now I can say to my dad and my son, EJ, our name will be forever enshrined in the history of football.”While Rice and Smith were immediate selections for the hall, LeBeau finally was inducted after a 32-year wait.“Man, this really is a great day to be alive,” said LeBeau, elected by the senior committee.LeBeau was chosen for his 14-year career as a cornerback with the Detroit Lions, in which he had 62 interceptions, still eighth overall. He’s best known as an assistant coach, the mastermind of the zone blitz. Currently the defensive coordinator of the Pittsburgh Steelers, LeBeau singled out his players who sat in a corner of Fawcett Stadium.“I am being inducted as a player and believe me that makes me most proud,” said LeBeau, at 73 the oldest coordinator in the NFL. “I did that for 14 years. but for the last 38 years I have been a football coach.“They are here,” he added, pointing to the Steelers, who he helped win two Super Bowls in the last five seasons. “That’s just about the highest compliment ever paid to me in my life.“I wouldn’t want to be here without you: offense, defense and special teams.”The players stood in applause and fans in the crowd whirled Terrible Towels in tribute.He was immediately followed on the stage by Randle, who as an undrafted defensive tackle with the Vikings and Seahawks accumulated 137½ sacks in 14 seasons, most for anyone at that position.Randle made six straight All-Pro teams (1993-98) and was chosen for seven Pro Bowls. He had a league-high 15½ sacks in 1997. “I am so humbled by this incredible honor which I never thought was possible. I’m a small-town kid whose dream came true.”Grimm was called the “Head Hog” by former Redskins offensive line coach Joe Bugel. From 1981-91, Grimm led the Hogs and helped the Redskins win three Super Bowls. He is the first member of that memorable line to make the hall.“It’s a privilege to play in the NFL,” said Grimm, now the assistant head coach of the Arizona Cardinals. “ It’s an honor to be selected here in Canton.He called the Hogs “a group of guys that grew together, worked together, rose families together” and said he would have their names embroidered on the inside of his gold Hall of Fame jacket.Jackson, one of the most versatile linebackers in league history, is the first New Orleans Saints player to be enshrined. Jackson made six Pro Bowls with a combination of strong run defense and a tenacity that led to 128 sacks. He helped turn New Orleans from ’Aints to a division winner for the first time (1991), and finished his career with the 49ers, winning a Super Bowl in January 1995.“I think I deserve to be up here,” Jackson said. “Football always has been my life. I see that in these guys up here (onstage), how they carried themselves. They set the standard.”Little was a star running back for the Denver Broncos from 1967-75 despite being the only offensive threat on the team. He had to wait nearly three decades since becoming eligible before getting elected. One of football’s most dynamic runners during his career, Little also was a dangerous punt and kickoff returner. In a relatively short career, he had 12,157 all-purpose yards and scored 54 touchdowns. “There are no words to describe the joy of experiencing this chapter, the highest honor…everything else pales.”In a powerful induction speech, he also encouraged people to say “Yes I can” throughout their lives and noted he had “given the best I’ve got.” CLASS OF 2010—The 2010 Pro Football Hall of Fame class. From left: Emmitt Smith, Dick LeBeau, Russ Grimm, John Randle, Rickey Jackson, Jerry Rice and Floyd Little after enshrinement ceremonies at the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio Aug. 7. LEGENDARY DUO—Jerry Rice, left, and Emmitt Smith share a moment after being elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame, in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., Feb. 6. On Aug. 7, they were inducted together in Canton, Ohio. “Let me stand here and catch my breath.”An hour later, Smith tried to hold back his tears as he reflected on his unequaled career.“Most people only dream,” Smith said. “I not only had my childhood dream, I did everything I could to fulfill it.“You know what, I am now the all-time leading rusher. ‘Wow. What an honor.”Rice was the man who took away everyone’s breath during an incredible 20 years and was one of seven NFL greats to enter the shrine as the Class of 2010. It is one of the strongest groups ever inducted, also including John Randle, Dick LeBeau, Rickey Jackson, Russ Grimm and Floyd Little.Rice holds every important pass-catching record as the game breaker in the West Coast offense for the San Francisco 49ers. In becoming the top target in the pro game’s most dangerous scheme, he established marks that might never be broken.Rice caught 1,549 passes, more than 400 beyond anyone else. He gained 22,895 yards, more than 7,600 ahead of second place. He scored 208 touchdowns, easily shattering the previous record. He made 10 All-Pro teams, was chosen for 13 Pro Bowls, and made receptions in an almost-unimaginable 274 consecutive games.Yet, he says, at 47, “I still believe in my heart I could play today.”