WILMINGTON, MA — According to Wilmington Police Logs, Wilmington Police issued the following arrests and summonses between June 21, 2019 and June 27, 2019.Friday, June 21, 2019Thais Dias (29, Malden) was arrested on a warrant for unlicensed operation of a motor vehicle and speeding. (5:16pm)Saturday, June 22, 2019Matthew Figucia (22, Wilmington) was arrested for OUI Liquor. (12:58am)Patrick C. Taylor (26, Wilmington) was issued a summons for Operating A Motor Vehicle with a Suspended License. (8:29am)Sunday, June 23, 2019NoneMonday, June 24, 2019NoneTuesday, June 25, 2019NoneWednesday, June 26, 2019NoneThursday, June 27, 2019None(DISCLAIMER: This information is public information. An arrest does not constitute a conviction. Any arrested person is innocent until proven guilty.)Like Wilmington Apple on Facebook. Follow Wilmington Apple on Twitter. Follow Wilmington Apple on Instagram. Subscribe to Wilmington Apple’s daily email newsletter HERE. Got a comment, question, photo, press release, or news tip? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:Like Loading… RelatedARREST LOG: Wilmington Police Make 2 Arrests & Issue 2 SummonsesIn “Police Log”ARREST LOG: Wilmington Police Make 1 Arrest & Issue 2 SummonsesIn “Police Log”ARREST LOG: Wilmington Police Make 5 Arrests & Issue 4 SummonsesIn “Police Log”
Venezuelan opposition leader and self-proclaimed acting president Juan Guaido gestures as he speaks during a press conference at the Venezuelan National Assembly in Caracas on 10 March. Photo: AFPOpposition leader Juan Guaido said Sunday he will ask Venezuela’s legislature to declare a “state of alarm,” authorizing the delivery of international aid in response to a catastrophic power outage that has paralyzed the country.At least 15 patients with advanced kidney disease were reported to have died since the blackout began on Thursday, as hospitals struggled to provide emergency services and the threat of spoiling food supplies put many on edge.”We must attend to this catastrophe immediately. We cannot turn away from it,” said Guaido, the 35-year-old leader of the National Assembly who in January declared himself interim president, triggering a power struggle in the oil-rich country of 30 million.He told reporters he is convening an emergency session of the National Assembly for Monday to declare a “state of alarm” and authorize the delivery of international aid.Such an action would set up another test of wills with president Nicolas Maduro, who last month used the military to repel an opposition bid to bring in humanitarian supplies from Colombia and Brazil.But Maduro vowed on Sunday he would not back down. “This macabre strategy to bring us to a confrontation will fail,” he wrote on Twitter.The Venezuelan health ministry also denied that the blackout had caused any deaths in public hospitals as reported.But the government announced that schools and workplaces would remain closed Monday as the power outages continued.Military stanceGuaido meanwhile called for more street protests Monday to pressure Maduro to step down.”You have the right to go into the street, to protest, to demand, because this regime is letting Venezuelans die,” he said, appealing to the armed forces “to stop covering for the dictator.”Guaido is recognized by more than 50 countries as Venezuela’s acting president, which have backed his calls for new polls, but the military high command has so far stood by Maduro despite a plummeting economy and deep discontent.In Washington, national security advisor John Bolton suggested members of the military were reconsidering their support for Maduro.”There are countless conversations going on between members of the National Assembly and members of the military in Venezuela, talking about what might come, how they might move to support the opposition,” Bolton said in an interview on ABC’s “This Week.”One reason the security forces have refrained from arresting Guaido, he said, “is Maduro fears if he gave that order, it would not be obeyed.”Electromagnetic attack?Maduro blames “imperialism” for the country’s accumulating woes, and claims the power outage was caused by an electromagnetic attack on the Guri hydroelectric complex, which supplies 80 per cent of Venezuela’s electricity.Guaido dismissed that explanation as “Hollywoodesque.” Critics blame the government for failing to maintain the power grid, as did the Lima Group, a primarily Latin American bloc.For ordinary Venezuelans, the blackout has piled misery upon an already agonizing day-to-day struggle to survive in a once prosperous country now reeling from hyperinflation and economic collapse.”Every day is worse,” said Edward Cazano, a 20-year-old who lives with his mother and three brothers in a poor Caracas neighborhood called Pinto Salinas. “We have the worst services in the world: no light, no water, sometimes no gas.”Hospitals with back-up generators were using them for emergency services, leaving patients to cope in the dark.”This has been horrible. Everything dark. Only some areas are operating with a generator,” said Sol Dos Santos, a 22-year-old whose daughter is hospitalized.Some isolated cases of looting were also reported in Caracas on Sunday.Dialysis patients at riskNo national data was available about the impact of the power outage, but an NGO said at least 15 patients with advanced kidney disease died after they stopped receiving dialysis treatments in darkened hospitals.Francisco Valencia, director of the Codevida health rights group, said some 10,200 people were at risk because dialysis units had switched off.Businesses remained shut, and public transport barely functioned.”I am very nervous because this situation isn’t being resolved. The little food we have in the refrigerator is going to spoil. How long are we going to endure this?” asked Francisca Rojas, a 62-year-old retiree in Caracas.The blackout has been one of the worst and longest in recent memory in Venezuela, which is already suffering from serious shortages of food and medicine due to the overarching economic crisis.
Kolkata: Two workers were killed in a coal mine at Pandaveswar in West Burdwan when a portion of it caved in on Sunday early morning.Police said the victims — Chandrasekhar Giri (42) and Kaleswar Mahato (40) — were working night shift and they got trapped when a portion of mine caved in at around 4.15 am on Sunday. The incident took place at Pandaveswar Khottadihi Coalmine.Chandrasekhar used to work as an overman while Kaleswar was a dresser.They were working at the coal mine since last night. All of a sudden, a rock slab around seven feet in length fell on them. Also Read – Rain batters Kolkata, cripples normal lifeOther workers gathered in the area and took the initiative to rescue them. Disaster Management Group of the Eastern Coalfields Limited (ECL) also went to the spot and continued the rescue work. They found the workers trapped inside the coal mine. Both of them were rescued and taken to a hospital where they were declared brought dead.The incident led to panic among other workers and immediately demanded necessary steps to check recurrence of such incidents. Also Read – Speeding Jaguar crashes into Mercedes car in Kolkata, 2 pedestrians killedThey also demanded a probe by the ECL authorities in this connection. The victim’s co-workers demanded a compensation amount and a job for one of their family members.Other workers, who witnessed the incident, told police they heard a loud sound all of a sudden.Initially, they couldn’t understand what had happened. Later, they realised that a portion of the coalmine had caved in. Initially, they couldn’t understand whether anyone was trapped under it. But within a few minutes, it became clear to them that Chandrasekhar and Kaleswar were trapped. They cried for help and the authorities took necessary step to carry out the rescue work.”Both Chandrasekhar and Kaleswar were busy in their work when the incident took place. They did not get time to move out of the place before the rock slab fell on them,” said a worker adding that they expect that the authorities will take necessary steps so that such an incident doesn’t take place again.
Darjeeling: Bengal is all set to be promoted as a tourist destination in Europe. For this, a familiarisation tour will be organised soon, whereby renowned tour operators from Europe will be taken around the state to familiarise them with the tourist destinations.”We have plans to tap the European market. Very soon, we will organise a familiarisation programme for tour operators of Europe. The tour operators will be taken around Bengal to familiarise them with the destinations. North Bengal will form an integral and important part of this programme,” said Thendup Namgyal Sherpa, joint director, Tourism department. Also Read – Rs 13,000 crore investment to provide 2 lakh jobs: MamataSherpa was delivering an address at the seminar entitled ‘Destination: North Bengal- sustainable, economic and social development’, organised by the Indian Chamber of Com- merce and North Bengal Development department, in Siliguri on Friday. “There is huge potential in Bengal. However, the potential is still untapped in the avenue of adventure tourism and tea tourism,” added the joint director. The impetus at present by the government is on home stays. “Tourists want to taste local cuisines, experience the culture and want to get a feel of Also Read – Lightning kills 8, injures 16 in statethe place. Home stays provide the perfect opportunity for this. The process of registration of home stays has begun and we are coming out with a clear cut policy on home stays,” stated Sherpa. The focus is on selling Bengal with intense marketing in all travel marts in the country and across the globe. “However, in national platforms we see at times that there is absence of aggressive marketing. We are doing our part. The stakeholders have to come forward as well and be a part of the journey together,” added Sherpa. Majority of the domestic tourists in Bengal hail from the southern part of the country. The state government has come up with travel guide books and will soon come up with destination-specific brochures. “We will also give emphasis to thematic tourism promotion,” said the joint director. The importance of North Bengal as a tourist destination could be gauged to an extent by the increase in the number of passengers at the Bagdogra Airport. “Bagdogra has evolved as a major airport in the country. A major airport handles over 20 lakh passengers annually. There are 22 major airports in the country. Last year, Bagdogra saw a footfall of 29 lakh passengers,” stated Subramani P, director, Bagdogra Airport. Bagdogra was originally designed as a small airport with a passenger handling capacity of 75,000 passengers annually.