Watford midfielder Doucoure rules out Marseille moveby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveWatford midfielder Abdoulaye Doucoure has ruled out a move to Olympique Marseille.Doucoure has talked up a January move to PSG in the last 24 hours.But asked about Marseille, Doucoure told RMC: “No OM no, it does not interest me at all. “Marseille already contacted me at the time with my agent, there were some tracks, it did not really interest me at the time, because I really wanted to move to England. “Marseille, it’s still a big French club, but as I said, my heart club is PSG and then that’s it.” TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say
ANN ARBOR, MI – NOVEMBER 19: Jabrill Peppers #5 of the Michigan Wolverines leaves the field after a 20-10 win over the Indiana Hoosiers on November 19, 2016 at Michigan Stadium in Ann Arbor, Michigan. (Photo by Gregory Shamus/Getty Images)Jabrill Peppers arrived at Michigan last year as one of the most heralded recruits in the country. However, his freshman season was cut short due to injury, and he ended up taking a medical redshirt.Michigan began spring drills this week, and judging by this video Peppers posted on Twitter, he’s 100 percent healthy and very fired up to be on the field.TURNT‼️ pic.twitter.com/GrnGLVUX6N— Breez (@JabrillPeppers) February 25, 2015That backflip was in the middle of special teams drills. Imagine how excited Peppers will be when he gets to play in the secondary.It will be interesting to see how Peppers looks in 2015, assuming he stays healthy. He has the ability to be a breakout player for the Wolverines.
TORONTO – Canada’s Big Five banks reported a collective second-quarter profit of $10.6 billion, up nearly 11 per cent from a year ago, beating expectations across the board as they brushed off concern about the impact of a cooling real estate market amid tighter mortgage lending guidelines.“The market is in various stages of worry about the outlook for the mortgage market in particular, but the results themselves seem to indicate that a lot of that worry is misplaced,” said Meny Grauman, an analyst with Cormark Securities in Toronto.BMO was the last of the biggest banks to report its earnings for three-month period ended April 30 on Wednesday.Its fiscal second-quarter net profit of $1.25 billion was relatively flat compared with a year ago, but included a $192-million after-tax restructuring charge primarily related to severance costs. Canada’s fourth-largest lender also raised its quarterly dividend to 96 cents per share, up three cents from 93 cents in its previous quarter.BMO said it earned $2.20 per share on an adjusted basis for the quarter, up from $1.92 per share a year ago. Analysts on average had expected the bank to earned $2.12 per share, according to Thomson Reuters Eikon.Like its rivals, BMO benefited from strong earnings on both sides of the border. Its Canadian banking arm saw net income rise 11 per cent to $590 million. And although home sales activity across the country in April hit a monthly low not seen in years, due to factors including a new stress test for uninsured mortgages as of Jan. 1 and higher interest rates, BMO’s total Canadian residential mortgage portfolio grew by 2.2 per cent to $106.4 billion in the latest quarter.BMO has “momentum” in its U.S. personal and commercial business, which is driving “very strong” results in its Canadian business, said chief executive officer Darryl White.“The bank’s performance this quarter, I believe, is indicative of our potential and I remain confident that our diversified businesses will deliver sustainable earnings growth for the future,” he said.The other Big Five banks generated strong earnings at home as well. TD’s Canadian retail division net income was up 17 per cent compared with last year. RBC’s Canadian personal and small business banking division reported a seven per cent increase in net income, while Scotiabank’s domestic banking division saw a five per cent increase and CIBC’s Canadian personal and small business banking division reported a 16 per cent increase in net income.International growth was a bright spot for the Canadian lenders as well, and a big contributor to the $10.6 billion in net income attributable to shareholders amongst them during the quarter.BMO on Wednesday said its U.S. personal and commercial banking division saw net income increase 46 per cent to $348 million for the quarter.The Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce saw an even bigger increase of 431 per cent, helped by its acquisition of Chicago-based PrivateBancorp in June last year.Profits at TD Bank’s U.S. retail arm’s rose 16 per cent, while Royal Bank’s U.S. Wealth Management unit, which includes Los Angeles-based City National, saw a 25 per cent jump. Scotiabank, which has focused its international expansion in Mexico, Peru, Chile and Colombia, saw net income at its international banking arm increase 14 per cent to $675 million.Canada’s sixth-largest bank, National Bank of Canada, also reported better-than-expected results and raised its dividend Wednesday. It earned $547 million or $1.44 per diluted share for the quarter ended April 30, up from $484 million or $1.28 per diluted share in the same quarter last year.“We’re seeing a lot of good contribution from their U.S. and international businesses,” said Robert Colangelo, senior vice president of Canadian banking and financial institutions at ratings agency DBRS.“Those seem to be the platforms that are taking off.”However, a dark cloud loomed as the banks delivered strong second-quarter earnings. BMO and CIBC’s direct banking brand Simplii warned that up to 90,000 clients’ information may have been compromised. BMO and CIBC on Monday said they were contacted a day earlier by “fraudsters” who claimed to have accessed clients sensitive data.The accelerated pace of technological change brings benefits for banking customers in the digital age, but increases risk as well, said BMO’s chief risk officer Surjit Rajpal. The bank will continue to “enhance our layered defences,” he said.“There will be bad actors that will attack banks or other institutions, be it for disruption or financial gain…. From an operational risk standpoint, I think there is an element that has gone up,” Rajpal told analysts.“There’s no question about it, and we’re going to be better prepared for it.”Companies in this story: (TSX:BMO, TSX:RY, TSX:BNS, TSX:TD, TSX:CM)
“Every piece of information can help the investigative team, and we encourage you to contact the police,” said Cst Amy Floyd, North District Traffic Services.Anyone who may have witnessed this crash or have information that will assist the investigators are urged to contact the Fort St John RCMP at 250 787-8140. If you wish to remain anonymous, you can call Crime Stoppers at 1 800 222-8477. FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – The Fort St. John RCMP continue to investigate a fatal hit and run at the Halfway River First Nation that happened over three years ago.On April 5, 2015, at 10:07 p.m., the RCMP responded to a call of a deceased woman on Road 5 of the Halfway River First Nation. At the time, police immediately located evidence that led investigators to believe the woman may have been the victim of a hit and run.There is still no description of the suspect vehicle, but the RCMP believe someone has information that will help them solve this crime.
New Delhi: The Supreme on Monday said that it will consider on March 28 whether petitions challenging the 10 per cent reservation in jobs and educational institutions for the economically weaker sections of unreserved categories should be referred to a larger bench. A bench of Chief Justice Ranjan Gogoi, Justice Deepak Gupta and Justice Sanjiv Khanna said that it would consider the plea on referring the issue to a larger bench after senior counsel Rajeev Dhavan said the limit of 50 per cent was part of the Constitution’s basic structure. Also Read – Squadrons which participated in Balakot air strike awarded citations on IAF Day “If it requires consideration by a larger bench, we will do it,” Chief Justice Gogoi said as Dhavan reiterated that the 10 per cent reservation was also part of basic structure. Chief Justice Gogoi asked Dhavan to tender a short note on his submissions. On February 8, the apex court refused to stay the decision to give 10 per cent quota for economically weaker sections amongst the unreserved categories and had clubbed all petitions for early hearing. Also Read – SC declines Oil Min request to stay sharing of documents on Reliance penalty The top court on January 25 sought the Centre’s response on a plea by NGO Youth for Equality challenging the constitutional validity of the 10 per cent reservation in jobs and education for the economically weaker section within the general category. The NGO had contended that the amendment violated the “basic structure” of the Constitution as cited in a 1992 Supreme Court judgment that held that economic criteria cannot be the sole basis of reservations under the Constitution. It had also contended that the amendment breaches the 50 per cent cap set by the 1992 judgment by a nine-judge Constitution Bench.
New Delhi: Accusing the Congress of insulting institutions, including Parliament, judiciary, media and the armed forces, when it was in power, Prime Minster Narendra Modi on Wednesday urged people to think wisely before casting their vote in the Lok Sabha elections beginning April 11.His government has changed things as it puts institutions above everything else, the prime minister said in a blog post. “As you go to vote – remember the past and how one family’s desire for power cost the nation so greatly. If they could do it then, they can surely do it now,” Modi wrote. “Think wisely: From the press to parliament. From soldiers to free speech. From the constitution to the courts. Institutional insult is the Congress way.” “Everyone is wrong, only the Congress is correct,” he said, taking a dig at the principal opposition party. India has seen that whenever dynastic politics has been powerful, institutions have taken a severe beating, he said. Referring to parliamentary proceedings, he said, “The nation knows the numerical dynamics of both houses. It is clear that when a non-dynasty party [has a] higher number, its tendency to work more is visible … which were the forces disrupting the House and why.” Discussing the freedom of expression, the prime minister alleged that dynastic parties have never been comfortable with a free and vibrant press. “No wonder, the very first constitutional amendment brought in by the Congress government sought to curtail free speech. Speaking truth to power, which is the hallmark of a free press was seen as vulgar and indecent,” Modi wrote. He pointed out that the UPA years saw the bringing of a law that could land you in prison for posting anything offensive . “A tweet against the son of a powerful UPA minister could land innocent citizens in jail … the nation watched with horror when a few youngsters were arrested for expressing their true feelings at a programme in Karnataka, where the Congress is sharing power,” he said. Modi said he wants to tell the Congress that “no amount of intimidation” will change the ground realities.
Kolkata: CPI(M) general secretary Sitaram Yechury has urged Rahul Gandhi to explain whether he is keen on fighting the BJP or the Left as he feels that the Congress chief’s decision to contest from Left stronghold-Wayanad has sent out a different message. Hinting that Gandhi’s decision won’t prevent the two parties from coming together after election, he spoke about 2004 when the CPI(M)-led Left Front had extended outside support to the Congress-led UPA. He said out of the 61 Left MPs, 57 had won by defeating the Congress. Also Read – Uddhav bats for ‘Sena CM’ “In all the 20 seats of Kerala, the contest is between the Congress-led UDF and Left-led LDF, whether its Rahul Gandhi or XYZ candidate. We are saying today that defeating the BJP is necessary to save India today,” Yechury told PTI in an interview. “Now what does Rahul Gandhi want to do is up to him. What is the message he is giving by contesting against the Left in Kerala unlike his mother or grandmother who had contested against the BJP from Karnataka. He should tell the country whether he is keen on fighting BJP or the Left. He should clarify this,” he said. Also Read – Farooq demands unconditional release of all detainees in J&K Indira Gandhi had contested from Chikmagalur in October 1978 and Sonia Gandhi from Bellary in 1999 in Karnataka. Fighting against the BJP is one thing, fighting against the Left sends out a different message, he said. Yechury said if Gandhi was keen on sending a message of united India by contesting from a southern state he could have contested from Tamil Nadu or Karnataka. He was commenting on Gandhi’s recent speech where he had said that the reason behind contesting from Kerala was to give a message that “India is not just one idea but millions of different viewpoints”. Asked whether Gandhi contesting from Kerala would act as a roadblock for the CPI(M) in supporting the Congress in a post-poll scenario, Yechury said, “Roadblock for what? If Rahul Gandhi is not there then there will be some other Congress candidate.” “We are fighting Congress politically in Kerala and we will fight it,” he said, noting that in 2004 when Left supported UPA-1, out of the 61 seats, the Left had won 57 by defeating the Congress. Yechury exuded confidence that a secular democratic government would come to power post elections and said the these polls will be the most crucial since Independence as the outcome will determine whether the country will remain a secular, democratic republic, as enshrined in the Constitution. “The BJP, which is an arm of the RSS, has a game plan to convert India into Hindu Rashtra. They have undermined every democratic institutions of the country. We will never allow this to happen and that is why it is crucial to defeat this government,” he said. Asked whether the CPI(M) will be a part of the proposed secular government or will it limit its role up to providing outside support, Yechury said it will decided post polls. “According to our party programme, the question of participating or not participating in government will be decided on the basis of the concrete situation that emerges at such a time, by our central committee. This decision will be taken at that time,” he said. Criticising the BJP for its effort to polarise the elections on the basis of religion and nationalism, Yechury referred to Pakistan Prime Minister Imran Khan’s recent comment that he would like the BJP to win and said the statement had only made it clear “who is pro-Indian and pro-Pakistani”. “The BJP has been branding opposition and those who have questioned them as Pakistani. But after Imran Khan’s statement we know who Pakistan actually wants as PM. Pakistan wants Modi to win and India wants Modi to lose,” he said. In an interview to foreign journalists, Khan said he believed there was a better chance of peace talks with India and settling the Kashmir issue if the BJP wins the general elections. The 66-year-old communist leader slammed BJP president Amit Shah for terming infiltrators “termites” and said it is one of the “most obnoxious and offensive comments” and wondered why the Election commission is yet to take cognisance of it. He said it was clearly a case of hate speech and violation of the Model Code of Conduct. “I really cannot understand why the EC is yet to take notice of it,” Yechury said. On the issue of failure of the seat-sharing deal with the Congress in West Bengal, Yechury said the grand old party should answer why it decided to go alone. “The CPI(M) was sincere in its commitment to ensure maximum polarisation of anti-BJP and anti-TMC votes in Bengal. We unilaterally announced that there should be no mutual contest in six seats. But the Congress on the basis of its own wisdom announced candidates, so it is for them to answer,” he said. Yechury said that as far as the people of Bengal were concerned, the most sincere efforts for defeating the TMC and the BJP were being made by the CPI(M) and Left. With the BJP emerging as the main contender of the ruling Trinamool Congress, the CPI(M) in Bengal is fighting a tough battle to retain its political ground. In the 2014 parliamentary election, the Trinamool Congress won 34 seats in Bengal, the Congress four and the Left and the BJP two each.
NEW DELHI: Among the candidates contesting for Lok Sabha polls in Delhi, three dont have college degrees– two are BJP candidates Gautam Gambhir and Hans Raj Hans while third is Congress candidate Mahabal Mishra who has a Pre-University Certifiacte (PUC).While AAP candidate from North-West (Reserved) Parliamenatry Constituency Gugan Singh is class 8 pass.The May 12 Lok Sabha polls in the national capital will involve a contest between Delhi’s ruling Aam Aadmi Party, the Congress party and the Bharatiya Janata Party which won all the seven seats in 2014. Five of them are re-contesting this year. Former cricketer Gambhir, in his nomination affidavit, has said that his “degree (was) not completed”. The 37-year-old is contesting in East Delhi against the AAP’s Atishi, 37, who holds a Master of Science (2006) degree from Oxford University. The Congress has named 50-year-old Arvinder Singh Lovely, a B.A. Political Science graduate from Delhi University. Hans Raj Hans, a matric pass (1978), is contesting from the North West Delhi seat. He will face the AAP’s Class 8 pass 70-year-old Gugan Singh. The Congress has named 53-year-old M.Sc. holder Rajesh Lilothia from the seat. For the West Delhi seat, the Congress has named 65-year-old Mahabal Mishra, with a pre-university certificate (Intermediate course) from Bihar. Mishra will face 41-year-old Parvesh Sahib Singh, a MBA holder, and the AAP’s 47-year-old Balbir Singh Jakhar, with a L.L.B degree. In the remaining four seats, the fight is between degree holders. In the Chandini Chowk parliamentary seat, BJP’s 64-year-old sitting MP Harsh Vardhan — a medical graduate from Ganesh Shankar Vidyarthi Memorial Medical College, Kanpur, and a Master of Surgery in Otorhinolaryngology (1983) — is contesting against the AAP’s 52-year-old Pankaj Gupta, a Bachelor of Engineering in Electronics (1987) from Allahabad. The Congress has fielded 74-year-old J.P. Agarwal, holding a degree in Bachelor of Arts (1960) from Delhi University’s Hansraj College. North East Delhi will see a contest between three master degree holders. AAP’s 38-year-old Dilip Pandey, holding a Master of Computer Application degree (2005) from Bhopal, is facing three-time Delhi Chief Minister and Congress leader Sheila Dikshit. The 81-year-old completed her post graduation in history from Delhi University in 1959.