Fired cane harvesters who were made redundant and then rehired after the Rose Hall and Skeldon Estates reopened their doors have expressed concern over the arrangements they are forced to work under.Some of these workers are reportedly not covered under the National Insurance Scheme (NIS).The Guyana Sugar Corporation (GuySuCo) recently gave out contracts to independent firms thus signalling the end of the trade union movement in the sector. This, cane cutters complain, is against the law, since they are already being exploited.The rewarding of contracts to independent contractors would mean that the workers would not be employed by GuySuCo and eligible for the benefits that go with such employment.Apart from no union representation, the workers are concerned that they now cannot benefit from NIS as they did in the past.Eustace Hunte, one of the workers fired from the Skeldon Estate who now works on a field at Palmyra, told Guyana Times that with no NIS coverage, he feels unprotected.“We suppose to get NIS. If we get chop while working here, we have nothing to get,” Hunte related. “We have to take care of ourselves because if anything happen to us, they don’t have anything to give us.” More than 4500 sugar workers were made redundant by GuySuCo last year. These workers were mainly from the Skeldon, Rose Hall and Enmore Estates and are being paid severance. Hunte says as workers they need to feel safe. “There is no safety,” he reiterated.As such, he is suggesting that arrangements be put in place for them to pay a percentage of the NIS contribution while the contractor pays the remainder as was previously done by GuySuCo.More worrying is the fact that the harvesters are being paid a flat price per tonne of cane irrespective of how bad the fields are and the distance workers must travel to the estate. Nevertheless, the workers related that they are paid at a rate of $1000 per ton of cane.Hunte related that with GuySuCo they were given $300 extra per bed when harvesting in difficult circumstances. In addition, the workers will not benefit from any of the allowances that were paid to them when they were employed by GuySuCo.Sources close to GuySuCo told this publication that plans were moving apace to have some of the fired workers become contractors.
The fastest man in the world, Usain Bolt, has been challenged to a race for charity by Great Britain’s distant runner Mo Farah, but the race may take the sprinter out of his comfort zone.“It’d be great to be able to do a distance where people vote in what distance will be suitable, and then get a judge and then come in the middle with that distance and train for it,” said Britain’s Farah, who won the 5,000 and 10,000 meters at last year’s London’s Olympics. “Bolt, are you up for that? Come on, you got to do it.”With no one else to beat on the track, Bolt – who won the 100 and 200 in world-record time at the 2008 Beijing Games, then defended those titles at last year’s Olympics – is considering Farah’s challenge.“That sounds fun. It’s going to be hard, but for me it’s charity, so it’s just all about fun and enjoyment,” Bolt said. “For me, I’m up for anything if it’s possible.”The issue with this challenge is deciding on a fair distance. What would you consider a fair? Give us your opinion.
KUSI Newsroom, August 4, 2019 Citizens of El Paso are uniting to donate blood 00:00 00:00 spaceplay / pause qunload | stop ffullscreenshift + ←→slower / faster ↑↓volume mmute ←→seek . seek to previous 12… 6 seek to 10%, 20% … 60% XColor SettingsAaAaAaAaTextBackgroundOpacity SettingsTextOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundSemi-TransparentOpaqueTransparentFont SettingsSize||TypeSerif MonospaceSerifSans Serif MonospaceSans SerifCasualCursiveSmallCapsResetSave SettingsSAN DIEGO (KUSI) – Residents of El Paso, Texas stepped up to donate blood after the mass shooting over the weekend.Tonight, blood donations are still pouring in. On the day of the shooting, a line of citizens waiting to help those who were injured in the tragedy formed around the blood bank building. KUSI Newsroom Posted: August 4, 2019 Categories: Local San Diego News FacebookTwitter
After learning last week that Fort Hood would lose 9 percent of its military population as the Army continues to downsize, officials in central Texas began to address the likely impacts.On Monday, a spokesperson for Killeen said the city had taken into account the pending personnel cutbacks and had budgeted accordingly.“There will absolutely be an impact. Everybody is being conservative,” spokesperson Hillary Shine told KXXV.The school district could experience a drop in enrollment and associated funding from the federal government, but the school system had not yet come up with an estimate of the likely changes.“At this time it is difficult to project the impact as many variables must be taken into consideration,” said Superintendent John Craft.Fort Hood is slated to lose 3,350 soldiers under the restructuring the Army announced last week, a cut exceeded only by a reduction of 3,402 troops at Fort Benning, Ga. Despite the outcome, the chairman of the Heart of Texas Defense Alliance was pleased the post did not lose any of its four brigade combat teams.“The Central Texas community will survive and continue to grow. Fort Hood is an enduring installation. The prospects for the future of Fort Hood are still good,” Pete Taylor, who commanded Fort Hood from 1991 to 1993, told the Statesman.Fort Benning and Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson, Alaska, will see their BCTs converted into much smaller maneuver battalion task forces as a result of the restructuring occurring over the next two years. Dan Cohen AUTHOR